Xenforo too expensive?

Chat it up about everything related to owning a forum. Give your advice to other forum owners about what to do in certain situations, etc.
Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

My co-owner and I have had to shut down our Xenforo forum because it’s been costing him too much with all the add-ons and stuff. He couldn’t afford it after all. Do you personally find it too expensive for you?

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

I haven't used XF as an administrator for a few years now, so I no longer know that much about it honestly. I haven't even played with a test forum since they had that demo site where people could try before they bought it. I think they were, what, $180.00 USD at one time? But I don't know if it still costs the same or if they've jacked up the price? [mention]SpacewardAsh[/mention] perhaps you can enlighten us a little? I know you used to pay a fair bit of attention to these things?

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

Ashley wrote:
6 months ago
I haven't used XF as an administrator for a few years now, so I no longer know that much about it honestly. I haven't even played with a test forum since they had that demo site where people could try before they bought it. I think they were, what, $180.00 USD at one time? But I don't know if it still costs the same or if they've jacked up the price? @SpacewardAsh perhaps you can enlighten us a little? I know you used to pay a fair bit of attention to these things?
The license is a one-time fee for about 160$, but it's the upgrades and add-ons that cost minimum 35$ a month according to my co-owner for my ex-mental wellness board.

Kyng
Great Britain

Post by Kyng »

I've never used XenForo (apart from a brief demo) - but, yeah, it's not cheap, especially for a hobbyist. It looks great - but, I chose not to use it, because I didn't want to pay over $100 for it, and then discover a deal-breaker a couple of weeks into it. I just stuck with MyBB in the end :P .

Though, XenForo is still cheaper than some of the alternatives, such as IPB...
#ForzaJules 1989-2015

Esmee
United States of America

Post by Esmee »

I don't think the xenforo is expensive. I think it is lot cheaper and you can pretty much save for it over the year and then upgrade as and when required. Compare this with the IPB and you would realize that this can get pretty strongly expensive over a period of time as well.

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

I agree with ya, @E@Esmee, as I’m currently using it for my very own mental wellness community.

SpacewardAsh
Server Admin
Great Britain

Post by SpacewardAsh »

You get what you pay for, and what you get is a quality piece of software. You could argue, why should you pay more for the addons you want? Personally, I think it's a case of quality over quantity and in any case, if these developers didn't charge for their addons, chances are the selection of addons would be severely limited...

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

SpacewardAsh wrote:
3 weeks ago
You get what you pay for, and what you get is a quality piece of software. You could argue, why should you pay more for the addons you want? Personally, I think it's a case of quality over quantity and in any case, if these developers didn't charge for their addons, chances are the selection of addons would be severely limited...
I can't remember specifics, but compared to phpbb xenforo had some pretty decent add ons

Alexander.
Great Britain

Post by Alexander. »

Well, it sure is expensive forum software. The annual license fee is 55$ and this allows you to update the software, and then the price really starts to add up when you start buying add-ons. I personally love using XenForo.

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

Alexander. wrote:
3 weeks ago
Well, it sure is expensive forum software. The annual license fee is 55$ and this allows you to update the software, and then the price really starts to add up when you start buying add-ons. I personally love using XenForo.
Xenforo without any add-ons isn’t expensive at all for me personally.