Admin or Member?

Chat it up about everything related to owning a forum. Give your advice to other forum owners about what to do in certain situations, etc.
Joshua Farrell

Post by Joshua Farrell »

It seems to me that there are quite a few number of people who are making forums, who don't have the proper personality to run a forum, and would probably be better off as a member of another forum, and helping to make it more successful than to be an admin of their own.

I have seen a number of admins over the years, who refuse to post in their forum saying, "I am waiting until I get members and then they will start posting on their own". I know from experience that members will not just come in to an empty forum and start making threads on their own. Forum activity should be driven as equally if not more by the forum admin than anyone else.

Basically not everyone is cut out to put in all the time, effort, and stress that is required to run a successful forum, and they could potentially be much better off, if they were just a member on a forum that they enjoy, and help that forum succeed.

So, are you better as an Admin or as a Member?

Weboogle

Post by Weboogle »

Admin status is better than being a member.

Juneberry

Post by Juneberry »

I became an admin only recently, but I'm making sure to ask advice of other admins so I can do it right. I'm probably better as a member overall, but I usually consider staff on sites still members- they may keep the rules in line, but they also have to lead by example and are as much required to be responsible and follow rules and such as members. It's a complicated view I can't quite explain.

I know though that I'm better as a lesser staff member or a member- but part of my making the forum I did is because it's important to me, and I also want to learn the skills of running a forum myself. I think the urge to learn and not give up is important in an admin too. :)

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

I love owning a forum, but I'm really more of a follower than a leader. I happen to enjoy the leadership role, even though I'm not as active as I'd like to be.
Proud owner and founder of Image since April 2019

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

I've been both for over 20 years currently and I love being both on a forum.

___
Great Britain

Post by ___ »

Being an admin is okay if you’re dedicated but often people aren’t. The same goes for moderators too.

I don’t mind being a member as long as I get something out of it, ie; it’s fun.

Cherry Blossom
Canada

Post by Cherry Blossom »

I personally prefer to an admin especially on my forums that way I can monitor what goes on. I have also been admins a couple forums one of which I've been banned from and I went online before being one to see what it meant to be one but the other admins said that I didn't know what I was doing when I did.