Instant SSL Debate

Feed - Hosting and DomainsHosting and Domains
Talk about everything related to domains, hosting sites, etc. here.
jasony

Post by jasony »

Some hosts have Instant SSL - making the encryption quick and easy. In addition, it could be free - cause they might not tack it on to the hosting cost (some marketing gimmick). Anyway, without Instant SSL - you either have to pay an arm and a leg to get someone to do it for you (make an https:// thing) or pay what often amounts to another registration fee, get the tech knowledge, take a considerable amount of time, assuming on how well you are at it - implementing it.

Thomasss

Post by Thomasss »

I have noticed most hosting companies now offer SSL via Let's Encrypt and if they don't, I've noticed a lot of people slowly leaving them. cPanel has made it easy to install an SSL certificate but it's hard if you're not sure what you're doing. Honestly, I do not think you should be with a hosting company that does not offer free SSL certificates via Let's Encrypt or another provider - with the way the internet is going these days and how Google is forcing sites to have SSL, it's in your best interest to invest in a hosting company that cares where the internet is going.

MeowsePad
Forum Technician

Post by MeowsePad »

It's funny because a few years ago, SSL was totally unnecessary for most sites. Google has really ushered in an age of "forced" SSL.
Please vote for MeowsePad.org in the championship! https://forumpromotion.net/forum/thread ... et.163908/

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

MeowsePad wrote:
8 months ago
It's funny because a few years ago, SSL was totally unnecessary for most sites. Google has really ushered in an age of "forced" SSL.
Could this be why there hasn't been any hacking or brute force attacks, or is that another issue I'm thinking of

247News

Post by 247News »

Get it if you need it.

SpacewardAsh
Server Admin
Great Britain

Post by SpacewardAsh »

Ashley wrote:
8 months ago
MeowsePad wrote:
8 months ago
Could this be why there hasn't been any hacking or brute force attacks, or is that another issue I'm thinking of
Unlikely, SSL is basically just a way to tell users that their data should be secure. It wouldn't stop someone attempting to social engineer somebody's login details or something like malware or spyware from getting in...

___
Great Britain

Post by ___ »

Instant SSL is great for those that are not as savvy with servers.

It's not too difficult to set one up, it's just a lot of steps so I for one am grateful that it's quicker nowadays.

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

What’s that anyways? I’m not very tech savvy myself.

___
Great Britain

Post by ___ »

An SSL certificate? It stands for Secure Socket Layer certificate. It basically means that data transferred between the user and server is secured.

It means a connection is secured but doesn’t mean the data transferred (the website) is safe. That’s a common misconception in computer security that anything with a padlock is safe.

A hacker can install a certificate to secure the connection. It just means another hacker can intercept the request made to the website.

Naiwen
Canada

Post by Naiwen »

What does a certificate do to a website anyways? Why do some have it and some don’t?