Games that force you to go through tutorials/basic training

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

How do you feel about games that force you to go through tutorials or basic training or some method of learning how to play a game? If it's a game I've never played before, I'll gladly accept a briefing of what to do and how to do it. However after a while I'll try to rush through it to get to the main game/ story line or whatever. This is for any video game for any console
Proud owner and founder of Image since April 2019

Kyng
Great Britain

Post by Kyng »

Yeah, that's annoying if it's unskippable.

I like the fact that they exist (and I often find them useful), but there should be a 'Skip tutorial' option for people who have played the game before.
#ForzaJules 1989-2015

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

Sadly there's not many games that allows you to skip introduction.

Another exception I don't mind is if it's been months or even years since I last laid hands on the game in question

One such tutorial is when they force you to watch on how to catch Pokémon. Mind you not all Pokémon games have this as mandatory, but many of the earlier titles do, and it's like I think I've played Pokémon enough times to the point where I know what to do

Kyng
Great Britain

Post by Kyng »

Well, I think most of the games I play allowed me to skip the tutorial :P . Maybe we've just been playing different games or something!

One series I play a lot is the Civilization series, which doesn't officially have a tutorial, but the lowest difficulty setting is so easy that it effectively serves as one :P . (And, there are also in-game tips that can be turned on and off, so your first proper game can offer a tutorial-like experience!)
#ForzaJules 1989-2015

Ashley
Forum Manager
United States of America

Post by Ashley »

Kyng wrote:
3 months ago
Well, I think most of the games I play allowed me to skip the tutorial :P . Maybe we've just been playing different games or something!

One series I play a lot is the Civilization series, which doesn't officially have a tutorial, but the lowest difficulty setting is so easy that it effectively serves as one :P . (And, there are also in-game tips that can be turned on and off, so your first proper game can offer a tutorial-like experience!)

I don't play a lot of games where introductions are forced, but I have played my fair share of them. I have played games where there are options to skip the introduction as well. Most of the ones I've played where you can't skip are like Pokémon Trading Card Game for the game boy color and some early Pokémon games